[Gllug] exim question

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Sat May 1 19:23:35 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am moving email for some domains to a server with exim from one with
postfix and have a slight problem.  I am running vm-pop3d
(http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/) with the mail for
virtual POP accounts delivered to:

/mail/<domains name>/<local part>

I have set up exim (debian stable version, 3.35) as in the example here
(the basic config with the additions for virtual mail folders..):

http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/mda/exim.conf.txt

The /mail directory and all subdirectories and files are owned by
mail.mail (uid and gid of 8) and are all set to permissions 660.  Why
then, so I get this message when I try and send to
test at test.hellacool.co.uk:

2004-05-01 18:38:05 1BJv6V-00076K-00 virtual_alias director: failed to
open /mail/test.hellacool.co.uk/aliases for linear search: Permission
denied (euid=8 egid=8)

when exim tries (i thought) to deliver as user 'mail'.  Someone please
enlighten me as to my glaring error ;)

Thanks,
Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk