[Gllug] I hate PC BIOSes

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed May 5 16:11:11 UTC 2004

I've got a new rackmount machine.  I have got serial console working for
BIOS access, but when the machine is booted without a keyboard it gives
a keyboard error.

Obviously this is no good for a rackmount.  So I find the "System
Keyboard" setting in the BIOS and change it from "Present" to "Not
Present".

Now when it boots, I still get a keyboard error, whether the keyboard is
plugged in or not.  Keyboard Not Present appears to disable to keyboard,
not change whether it's required for booting!

This is an AMIBIOS.  I have the aforementioned serial access, but I
can't seem to break into the BIOS using it.  This may be because I am
telnetting via a terminal server and so not sending the appropriate
codes for a VT100 F4.

Any bright ideas anyone?  I'd like to just to be able to get into the
BIOS, but obviously this is no use if it can't boot without a keyboard.
All the recent rackmounts I've got have had no problem with a keyboard
not being present.

Bring back Sun, all is forgiven.

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk