[Gllug] Distro for 64M machine

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri May 21 11:27:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 12:04, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> I agree.  The choice of applications will be far more relevant.  If it's
> performing simple server tasks (mail or file sharing for a small office)
> then it's OK but any heavy applications will be slow.
>
> The real handicap on that box is the memory.  Boost that to 128 or 256
> and it will perform very respectably.

Absolutely.
The brief was to make use of some old computers from his company,
in a local school.
Win98 must be wiped from the hard drives.
Looking at the spec, I recommended K12LTSP, and have said that
that will require a central server which is more powerful, and
with a decent amount of RAM.

I think LTSP is an ideal solution to a classroom. Just reboot the
PCs if any go wonky. Easy to introduce new (ie donated) PCs to the
network. Of course it does need someone to look after the server.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk