[Gllug] Legal precedent for email disclaimers

Karen McAtamney karenmcatamney at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 28 08:09:13 UTC 2004

Jim:
> Take it easy Karen Alains comments were a flame[0]

Yes, so were mine - if people spout nonsense, then one time in every hundred
or so, I'm going to bite.

I'm afraid I come from the flames  = art form school, not from the flames
are evil, bad and wrong school and should always be ignored school.

To be honest, I thought it quite obvious that my comments were a flame -
they were so far over the top that they couldn't possibly be anything else.

 >I am not even sure he realised we had an honest to goodness lawyer on the
>list.

Oh probably not -  but that's not really the point:-P If I get round to it
I'll have a search though some legal databases and see if I can find
anything to answer the substantive question here.

My gut feeling is that many email disclaimers are so wide, it's unlikely
they could be enforced eg. disclaimers printed at the bottom of the email
saying 'if sent to you in error do not read'. The problem with making them
too wide is that the whole disclaimer could be struck down by the court,
even if some of it would have been enforceable. Anything purporting to
exclude liability for death/personal injury caused by one's own negligence
isn't enforceable. Beyond that I'm going to need to have a search for some
information.

 >By the looks
> of it you are pretty new to Gllug and Linux in general, so be prepared
> to read lots of stupid, ignorant and bigoted opinions about lawyers,
> politicians, marketing executives, managers, in fact just about anyone
> who isn't a die hard *nix hacker.  Tech types be an asocial bunch at the
> best of time.

Extremely new to Linux yes, Gllug I've been around for a few months now,
however, I've been around the internet for years. I'm well aware people
write nonsense about all subjects under the sun and beyond. Generally I
sigh, *shrug* and delete. But sometimes I get tired, argumentative, cross or
irritable and sometimes when I feel like that I bite.

> If people really tick you off learn to use a kill file and treat them as
spam.

I'm well aware of how to block individual senders - though in all the time
I've been online I've never felt the need to use it.

> P.S. don't let on you are a Conservative or the anarchists will get you.

Actually I reckon anarchists are quite fun:-)

Karen

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk