[Gllug] Memory usage when idle

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed May 5 12:14:07 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, 5 May 2004, John Hearns wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 12:54, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>Having just upgraded to Fedora I can say that in comparison to a simple
>>Window manager like WindowMaker, Gnome is a horrific memory hog - if you
>>don't need GNOME window manager then switch to a lightweight one.
>I run Fedora on a 64M laptop, and I agree with what you say.

Except for the bit where Gnome is not a window manager, I hope. Sure,
don't run big chunks of Gnome on a low-memory machine, but that's
orthogonal to the choice of window manager.

[And since when is WindowMaker simple? twm, that's simple - and
shouldn't be judged by the fact that the default configuration is
abominable.]

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk