[Gllug] Re: COurier Imapd: Failed to create cache file

Nick Richards nick at nedrichards.com
Sun May 9 15:30:03 UTC 2004

> Whenever I use IMAP, I get this message in the logs.  Where is it
> trying to create the file, and as what user?
>
> May  6 15:17:51 localhost imaplogin: Error: Input/output error
> May  6 15:17:51 localhost imaplogin: Check for proper operation and configuration
> May  6 15:17:51 localhost imaplogin: of the File Access Monitor daemon
> (famd).

>  > Well, I installed famd and the messages went away.  Why do I need famd
> > then?  Seemed to work just fine without it, except for the messages.

You've got a courier binary that's been compiled with famd support
there. It means that if you've got a decent IMAP client (like the nice
new Mozilla Thunderbird) with IDLE support your mail will drop into your
inbox the moment it's received by the mailserver. Nothing breaks if you
don't have it, there's just a splurge into the logs.

Also covered rather handily in the Courier FAQ[0]. This happened to a
fair few Debian users who run the backports.org version of Courier as
the latest binary was compiled with fam support but without adding it as
a dependancy.

Nick

[0] http://www.courier-mta.org/FAQ.html#fam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk