[Gllug] Sound problem

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Mon May 17 13:56:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 02:21:54PM +0100, Amias Channer wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:37:53 +0100
> Pete Ryland <pdr at createservices.com> wrote:
>
> > Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
>
> This is a 5:1 dolby surround sound controller and so probably will not
> mute the output of other channels when you plug in headphones,
> you may have to turn off certain outputs with a mixer that is aware of the
> other channels , never done this myself .
>
> Maybe you could do this in windows and use loadlin to start linux
> immediately and see if it will inherit the settings .
>
> Maybe you could use the windows driver with one of those windows driver
> under linux apps.

Umm.. sorry if you misunderstood, but I was posting a solution to Chank's
problem, not posting a problem of my own. :-)

Turning the 'vol' setting down indeed turns down the inbuilt speaker but
leaves the headphones working just fine.  Chank's sound card was a similar
model, and he said he only tried the 'pcm' and 'pcm2' volume controls.

Pete

PS I don't run MS Windows anyway :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk