[Gllug] Files that grow

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 12 23:43:35 UTC 2004

On Thu 13 May, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:58:49PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    I have just tried to copy a self-extracting archive file from a server
> > via the internet onto a Linux box, and then by ftp to a destination computer
> > that is not running Linux (nor M$!). The file contents must be retained at
> > the original 299256 bytes for it to work. The Linux box gives the correct
> > filesize, and it is shown correctly in the destination box's ftp window, but
> > it arrives as 300450 bytes. I make that a gain of 1194 bytes in a very short
> > piece of wire.
>
> Are you transfering it in ASCII mode (ie. translating \n into \r\n)?

   Thanks, that was the problem, I have now specified binary mode, and it
has worked. The original problem was that it appeared as just a part of an
HTML page, and the destination box could not separate it. The Linux box did
that immediately and downloaded the file correctly, but the destination box
had then auto detected the file as ASCII.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk