[Gllug] Gimp 2.0 on Mdk 9.1 ??

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Tue May 18 11:07:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:02:54AM +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst Pete Ryland announce to the hordes:
> > Also, it's likely that glib is found in a package called, surprisingly,
> > 'libglib', not one called 'libgtk'.  I'd be worried if Mandrake doesn't ship
> > these seperately, since programs that use glib may not necessarily use gtk,
> > and to force a user to install gtk (which of course implies installing X) is
> > a bit overkill if all a program needs is a generic linked list
> > implementation!  Of course in this case you need both.
>
> Generic linked list? Pah!

Hmm.. You sound like Raster.  Personally, I'm all in favour of code re-use.
And if you have a generic implementation, then any optimisation you do in
that benefits every instance.

> I'd need more incentive than that to use glib, it's hardly rocket science to
> do one of your own. :)
>
> glib has a few more useful things in it though to justify its use.

My point still stands that glib is about data organisation and stuff, and
programs that use it don't necessarily use gtk, an all-to-commonly-heard
fallacy.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk