[Gllug] Memory errors

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Wed May 26 13:14:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:59:23PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 26 May, Tethys wrote:
>
> > My question is, what can I expect from metest86? Are a handful of
> > errors to be expected, or should it come back completely clean? Am
> > I justified in taking the RAM back and demanding a replacement, or
> > are a few errors normal?
>
>    It could be lousy soldering on the motherboard sockets, have you moved
> the cards around to see whether the errors follow the cards or motherboard?

The most frequent cause of component failure is ESD[1], but usually that
doesn't manifest itself until weeks or months afterwards.  This is called
"latent failure"[2].

So how many people do /you/ know who complain of short lifespans of devices,
yet don't take precautions when installing kit, claiming that their handling
of components doesn't damage them? ;-)

But I'm sure Tet was careful when installing the RAM though, just thought
I'd make a point. :-)

Pete

[1] Electro-Static Discharge, caused by handling components with
statically-charged hands/tools.

[2] See http://www.esda.org/basics/part1.cfm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk