[Gllug] Sharing files on Windows machine

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon May 10 11:20:59 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Simon Morris announce to the hordes:

> -----QUOTE-----
> Modprobe: Can't locate module ntfs
> How do I build it, how do I update the config to include it, and what
> does "make modules;make modules_install" do?

If you've never built a kernel before, you'll have to compile the lot. If
you HAVE built one before, it'll just compile the modules you ask for.
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4 (on redhat)
or
cd /usr/src/linux (on most other distros)
cp /boot/config-<kernel-version> .config
or
if you have a kernel with config.gz stored in proc...
zcat /proc/config.gz >.config
make menuconfig
go to filesystems, and select NTFS (read only module)
exit, save, make dep bzImage modules modules_install
or make modules modules_install (if you've had a previous build)
that should do the trick.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk