[Gllug] Re: Fedora or Fed-up

Stephan Bourgeois strangelv at lycos.co.uk
Fri May 28 17:41:00 UTC 2004

I switched from RH9 to FC1 about 4 months after its release. I
configured synaptic to point to the local mirrors of freshrpm, atrpms,
etc. Downloaded all the goodies I need including modules for ALSA, ADSL
modem, TV card, etc. Everything installed smoothly. A lot of
configuration files could be copied straight from RH9. It does exactly
what I want : Oo, web+email, multimedia player TV, DVD, mp3. I had to do
less compilation than on RH9

My advice would be:
1. maybe hold on for a couple of months before you switch to FC2. Just
for those modules to be recompiled for the new kernel. That depends on
your hardware.
2. configure synaptic or apt-get to point to the repositories that
contain the stuff you want.
3. enjoy.
Steph.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk