[Gllug] GnuPG signatures

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon May 3 09:53:19 UTC 2004

Hello,
   Very few people writing to this list find it necessary to use a GnuPG
digital signature, and of those who do there appear to be two different
methods used.

   Some send their email as plain text headed by a start mesaage followed by
a start of digital signature message, and everything displays in my simple
reader as an email followed by a few lines of digital signature.

   Others send both the text email and the signature as multipart/signed
which appear on my system as an empty email with two attachments in a
separate directory which I have to open separately if/when I wish to see the
contents.

   Is there a good reason for the difference, such as better security, or
are they just two alternatives? Are the separate attachments really
necessary?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk