[Gllug] RAID Partitions

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon May 10 11:38:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 12:23, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> I noticed something recently called "network raid"...
> It'll "mirror" any block device (even an md).
> Might be worth looking into.

Me! Me! Please Sir!

I have used DRBD http://www.drbd.org to set up a high availability
cluster.

The basis is that there is a 'pretend' block device, in my case /dev/nb0
associated with a real disk device. You mount this
device and write to it. The data is mirrored over the network to
a corresponding device on another machine. Watch that you don't have it
mounted on the other machine! There are also tweaks in how the data
is written.

Maybe I should give a talk on failover clusters to GLLUG someday.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk