[Gllug] simple, easy pop server

Dan Kolb dankolb at ox.compsoc.net
Sat May 22 13:15:30 UTC 2004

Murray wrote:

> I'm after a super simple, easy & reliable pop3 server.

popa3d. Or qpopper. Most POP3 (not IMAP) servers are simple and reliable.

> I'll be collecting mail from it via an ssh tunnel, which I assume takes
> care of most of the security issues (110 blocked at firewall, ssh open
> from trusted ip's).

Pretty much. Unless you're really paranoid :-)

> suggestions?
>
> fyi: I'm wanting to run my primary mail server on my adsl line, but
> given this isn't a reliable connection, or machine, I want to be able to
> access email directly on the remote secondary should the primary fail.

That may not work the way you're suggesting. If you have multiple MX
records for your domain, the primary will be doing the final delivery to
a mailbox, from which you'll be able to pick up your mail, either
directly or via POP/IMAP. Secondary MXes will only queue your mail until
they can get to the primary - you won't be able to get at your messages
there (unless of course you have access to the mail queue).

> or, being new to this, is there an even simpler solution?

Use your ISP as your final mail delivery (or $friendly_hosting_place),
and have your machine on the ADSL line periodically check for, and
download, new mail.

Dan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk