[Gllug] nmbd shutdown

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun May 16 09:16:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 09:25:08AM +0100, Bob wrote:
> Can you help.  Is there a way to keep nmbd live when there is no connection to
> eth0.
[snip]
> cable (cable is disconnected for maintenance or security issues).  We never
> had this problem, that we are aware of before ver 10.

Are smbd and nmbd running in daemon mode or are they being called by
inetd/xinetd?

> OS is Mandrake Linux Official 10 with Samba 3.0.2.
>
> We have found the service stops about 2-3 mins after we disconnect the network

What do the logs say?  Look for a log file called something like
log.nmbd in /var/log or /var/log/samba.

> On another issue we liked the facility in Redhat 8 (setup as a file server)
> where users could have access via Samba to files on the server - but were
> prevented from logging on locally by changing the shell to nologon.  We have
> been unable to achieve this with Mandrake.  Any suggestions.

Try setting a user's logon shell to /bin/false.  See if that works.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.