[Gllug] memtest86 running time

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sun May 9 14:26:19 UTC 2004

On May 09, 02:01, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 01:58:13PM +0100, Dan Kolb wrote:
> > Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> >
> > >If it does carry on indefinately, how long is "long enough"
> > >to be reasonably confident?
> >
> > I'm not sure how long it carries on, but I have (a couple of years back)
> > had it running for more than 2 days, without any sign of stopping.
> >
> > 'Long Enough' can be anywhere between half an hour and a couple of hours
> > - that should catch most memory errors, unless they're *really* obscure.
>
> 2 days! That's careful :)

No thats through, ;)

We ran a lot of diskless nodes at my last place and checked every RAM
chip bought for a couple days each since the smallest fault caused the
nodes to lose stability.  I don't know what you are using the RAM for
but 2 days is about what it takes to check a bank of RAM for faults

Peace Jim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk