[Gllug] Memory errors

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu May 27 12:33:55 UTC 2004

Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 4:07 pm, Chris Bell wrote:
>
>> most modern chips  now have integral clamp diodes on external connections so
>> even FET's are fairly well protected.
>
> There's no clamp diode that will safely and reliably handle the 10s of kV that
> you can get with even a minor static zap!  Admittedly, most modern ICs are
> much more robust than those of a few years ago, but basic static precautions
> should always be observed!

We used to have all sorts of weird problems with electronics. None of
the stuff was dead, just being weird. When we implemented rigorous
anti-static discipline, we stopped having the weird problems. Note that
we didn't get any outright failures - just weird stuff happening.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk