[Gllug] .procmailrc and lockfile question

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 25 09:47:33 UTC 2004

Hi

I've got a local .procmailrc in my home dir.

It has the following settings:

LOCKEXT=.lock

Some mail goes to ~/mail/.* if it matches a pattern, the
rest goes to /var/spool/mail/ben

Because mail can be sent locally as fetchmail drops mail
to procmail from a remote pop account, I use lockfiles.

One problem has been that procmail can create lock files in
my local mail directory (as *.lock) but cannot create files
in /var/spool/mail (775 root.mail). I therefore put the following
recipe at the bottom of my ~/.procmailrc

:0: $HOME/.mail
* .*
/var/mail/b-fitzge

This is messy. There must be a better way but I'm not seeing it.
Obviously I'd like to keep permissions on /var/spool/mail as
tight as possible.

Any suggestions?

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk