[Gllug] Evolution Connector

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed May 12 22:51:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:50, Alain Williams wrote:

> > > What's always puzzled me about the Evolution offering is that, as far as I
> > > can discover, you can't have shared diaries without Exchange.  Rather than
> > > a plug-in for Exchange, a much more useful product would be a free
> > > (speech) central component which enabled shared diaries etc.
> >
> > We've batted this one back and forth in the past.
> >
> > I think you're looking for an iCal server - not sure what the status
> > is of open source there.
>
> No. The point is that what matters when getting Linux into the corporation
> are: interoperation, migration, compatability.
>
> Having a great solution that doesn't play with the current solution is no good
> at all. Migration does not happen over night.

Indeed. Entrenched apps that require the Win32 API are by far the
hardest thing to deal with. One has to adopt a rigorous policy of only
allowing cross-platform applications, and then work to gradually
supplant the existing Windows apps.

> These issues are the biggest problems at getting FLOSS rolled out in the office.

Definitely - and there are still some areas where OSS just isn't as good
for office use. Getting platform parity is not an easy task.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk