[Gllug] Electrical interferense?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 15:35:08 UTC 2004

"Henrik Morsing" <henrik at morsing.cc> writes:

> Hello guys,
> I've just moved house and have some unexplainable problems.
>
> 1. My main (8 year old PII) computer has slowed down about 50 times. It
> now takes 1:40 to boot up. I tried reinstalling it but even the
> installation process is extremely slow. There's nothing in the logs, no
> errors, no cpu usage and no I/O wait. It seems as if the CPUs themselves
> have just slowed down!

I have seen this with machines occasionally.

You *are* using STP rather than UTP for your network cables?

Also, try ping -f between two machines - I've seen network cards that
worked perfectly for a ping -f's b, but fail for b ping -f's a.

> 2. My network sometimes becomes extremely slow (and even terminates ssh
> sessions). There are no network errors at all.

> 3. I can no longer use VPN to work. It sometimes logs me in but then kicks
> me off again.
>
> 4. I borrowed a 3G (Orange) card but it was too slow.

Umm - if there's *nothing* else plugged in to that machine, and the 3G
card works well elsewhere, then it looks like excessive EMI. Shop the
power company for failing EMC compliance regulations?

cheers, Rich,

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk