[Gllug] USB A4 flatbed scanners

Sean Burlington seanb at london.ramblers.org.uk
Wed Nov 10 13:39:25 UTC 2004

Rich Walker wrote:
> Andy McGarty <andy at mac1systems.com> writes:
>

>>On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:49:04 +0000, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
>>

>>>On a related issue, I've got some negatives which I'd like to put up
>>>on the web.  Standard way to do this would be to go to a photographic
>>>shop and have the photos developed onto a CD, but this costs loads of
>>>money.  I could scan in the negatives, but how would I "negate" them?
>>>
>>>Rich.
>>>

>>You need a scanner with transparency adaptor (it has a backlight) and remember to scan at higher
>>resoltions than normal as the image is small.
>

> [snip]
>
> Morgan have a slide scanner ATM for "a reasonable price for a slide
> scanner". SCSI, too.

I recently got this scanner at work (where is runs on M$)

EPSON PERFECTION 4870 PHOTO

It's a flatbed scanner but of high quality and with a light in the lid -
I'm very pleased with it, I've tried to use the transparency adapter for
other scanners and found the results to be poor.

It's cheap by slide scanner terms - expensive for a flatbed (£280)

It appears from the website that Linux drivers are available.

It is slow but can scan 8 transparencies at a time, several strips of
negs or even A4 transparencies !

--

Sean
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk