[Gllug] Good linux magazines?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 22:27:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 12:12 +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> > The most serious Linux magazine is Linux Journal. I used to pick it
> > up occasionally from the PC Bookshop, but that's closed and I don't
> > know of any other place to buy it and I don't really want to subscribe.
>
> I gave in and subscribed.  LJ has fluctuations in quality and some
> issues are very esoteric (full of articles on how embedded Linux is
> being used in Bolivian rainfall-measuring stations) but it's been on
> good form recently.  If only somebody would shoot that bloody "Cooking
> with Linux" idiot and put an end to his Marcel Wave impressions.

Indeed - he's most annoying. I used to subscribe, but recently stopped
my subscription. It was quite expensive, and I felt the quality had
dropped over the 4 or so years of my subscription. It was noticeable
when you looked at the pile that the magazine had grown thinner with the
years, and the articles always came from the same writers, who put over
their poersonal tastes a little too much for my liking. These days I
just buy the odd one that looks interesting - Smiths in Liverpool Street
station usually seem to have it.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk