[Gllug] "Wrong software" installed on to desktop PC's causes crash

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Nov 26 10:58:44 UTC 2004

Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    It seems that the Benefits Agency computer system crashed on Monday
> because the "wrong software" was installed on desktop PC's over the weekend.
> I wonder whether it was an accidental problem or the result of an attack?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/26/dwp_network_outage/

"According to one, a limited network upgrade from Windows 2000 to
Windows XP was taking place, but instead of this taking place only a
small number of the target machines, all the clients connected to the
network received a partial, but fatal, 'upgrade.'"

Methinks someone has forfeited their Christmas bonus.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk