[Gllug] VGA to scart/s-video

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 12:54:00 UTC 2004

On Mon 08 Nov, john.hearns at clustervision.com wrote:

> Quoting Ian Norton <bredroll at darkspace.org.uk>:
>
> > I picked one up for about 50 quid on ebay
> >
> > its called a 'tv view silver',
> >
> > i forget the make, but it manages 640x480 and 800x600, it outputs scart,
> > comosite or svideo
>
> Nowt wrong with that at all (I'm not slapping you down).
>
> But I'll repeat my earlier advice - go for a more expensive model if you
> can. Remember, these things have to downsample from the video card
> resolution to 640x480
> (that's why 640x480 was the earliest video resolution - if I'm not
> wrong, same as NTSC televisions. Chris Bell please comment!)
>
> Actually, as I recall at the time, it was better to have your Powerpoint
> looking OK on an 800x600 screen then feed to the convertor.
> High resolutions look fine on a video projector - but thin fonts don't
> do well on these. You can get smearing.
>
> If this is on a company budget it might be worth having an A/V company come
> round with a demo unit.

   That always used to be the case, but I think that some new TV's can
handle higher definitions to cope with HDTV. An elderly friend recently
purchased a widescreen TV with multiple SCART connections that was supposed
to be HDTV capable, even though it only came with an ordinary analogue tuner
so could not even receive Freeview digital without a "set-top box".
   He now has a Freeview "set-top box" and a huge temporary indoor aerial
pointing at his window as he waits for his normal aerial feed to be fixed.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk