[Gllug] RE: Open source financial database

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Wed Nov 24 11:02:50 UTC 2004

I think most of us would come against a few hurdles with this, certainly those
of us that are permanently employed by Financial organisations.

Most contracts have an intellectual property rights clause that prevents you
doing certain things with information you gather from your employment.
Normally this relates to developing apps for financial gain but could include
this. Also, with the amount of money the big banks have why would you want to
write something open source for them to make even more money, it is not as if
you average Joe is going to use it. Unless of course you write something for
the small investor, but you would need an extended GPL or something to absolve
you from any losses. Just seems to risky to me.

Simon