[Gllug] Resolving question

Jan Minar jjminar at FastMail.FM
Tue Nov 30 16:47:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:58:10PM +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Jan Minar <jjminar at FastMail.FM> [041130 15:50]:
> > On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:15:22PM +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> > > Do _all_ (normal) programs use the resolving order defined in
> > > resolv.conf?  I anticipate some DNS difficulties over the next few days
> > > and want to know whether I can add /etc/hosts entries to overcome these
> > > for one particular server.
> >
> > Shor answer: yes.
> >
> > It's host.conf, not resolv.conf
>
> Oh yes.  What's the relationship between nsswitch.conf and host.conf?

Hmm, I thought they went in sequence, but it apparently isn't the case.

In "Pine.LNX.4.44.0204100953400.3084-100000 at localhost.localdomain",
Werner Puschitz writes:

> GNU C Library 2.x uses /etc/nsswitch.conf and older versions use
> /etc/hosts.conf.
> I don't know if any software included in RH uses the older version at
> all.

So I was probably wrong, and /etc/hosts.conf is not used at all, on
modern systems?  (Anybody stating manpages are the definitive source of
documentation should be shot on the spot.)

BTW:

nsswitch.conf(5):

| Within each process that uses nsswitch.conf, the entire file is read
| only once; if the file is later changed, the process will continue using
| the old configura­ tion.

Cheers,
--
 )^o-o^|      e-mail : jjminar FastMail FM
 | .v  K      jabber : rdancer at NJS.NetLab.Cz
 `  - .'      phone  : +44(0)7981 738 696
  \ __/Jan    icq    : 345 355 493
 __|o|__Minář irc    : rdancer at IRC.FreeNode.Net