[Gllug] subnetting

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sun Nov 7 16:24:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Michael Jenson wrote:

> Well OK I should know this I feel, but I don't!
> Can someone send URL or explain why the first range of IP's
> in subnetting is not used and what would make it possible to
> use it. Example:
> Taking 7 bits away makes for 8 subnets. How can I make the
> first subnet usable for a customer.
> Need for university assignment.

You have not expressed yourself clearly - I'm not sure I understand your
question as you intend. Do you mean to ask why the first address within a
subnet cannot be used for a host address?

If so the reason is that the first address identifies the whole network -
hence it's called the network address.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £21.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk