[Gllug] "Wrong software" installed on to desktop PC's causes crash

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 12:11:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 10:10 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Tethys wrote:
>
> > Indeed. But surely even were that the case, you'd just restore the previous
> > image to those machines and an hour later, everything would be back to
> > normal. Obviously that didn't happen, as an hour later, things are still
> > screwed. I'm not entirely sure why, though.
>
> I don't know about Windows but on most platforms if you fubar the whole OS
> installation automated management tools aren't going to be of much help.

True enough, but with semi modern machines and a decent large network
infrastructure I'd expect them to all be configured to boot via PXE if a
boot image was available that way. Fixing them should have been a simple
matter of dropping the appropriate image onto a TFTP server and telling
people to reboot.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk