[Gllug] Recommendation for Linux Server Monitoring

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Mon Nov 29 20:13:57 UTC 2004

Its been a while since I last looked into this and my google skills seemed
to be lacking today.  I'm looking for a linux based solution that's free to
monitor 150 Linux servers and about 20 windows servers.

The things were most interested in are :

Oracle/Apache/Websphere/SSH/SMTP/Ldap/HTTPS/MsSQL etc which should be simple
enough as they all open TCP ports.

Alerts by email after three (or rather x) consecutives failures to help
against false alerts.

Dependences so that if a router is down the host doesn't alarm as also being
down.

A real bonus would be the ability to check Window services/processed and
Windows and Linux resources like memory & CPU.

A real real bonus would also be able to run a custom script for monitoring
at the remote server.

The monitoring server needs to be able to run on Suse Enterprise server 8.2
which I doubt will be a problem.

I am aware of Nagios and BB, Nagios I've never had much luck with and BB
isn't free to companies to use (unless Ive missed some recent changes.)

Thanks guys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk