[Gllug] RAID on RAID

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Wed Nov 3 17:33:36 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:

> If you care about your data, then stay away from hardware RAID at all

> costs. RAID controller firmware is notoriously fickle, changing on disk
>
>formats between different revisions of the same card (even sometimes on
>the same revision -- numerically speaking, at least). If your controller
>dies, then cross your fingers and hope that your backups are up to date,
>because the replacement may not be able to read your disks...

We've had this conversation before.  I think the summary from my point
of view is:

1)  I, nor no-one I know, in over 10 years of doing this stuff for a
living has hit this problem - it seems rare.
2)  Having raid is never an excuse for not having backups.

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk