[Gllug] KDE and konsole

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 21:34:19 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I often have downloaded files which I want to move into their rightful place
on my system, sometimes I use Konqueror, sometimes I use bash. What I use
depends on various factors such as:
 Currently, am I mostly using the mouse... is it worth moving my hand.
 Have I already got the destination or source folder open in either cli or
gui.
 how many files do I have to move.
 What is the structure of the files (spaces, uncommon chars (big5, for
example).

I wont bore you further with the logincal interdependencies. I'll also get to
the point of this email.

Not so long ago I discovered that files could be dragged and dropped from a
Konqueror window directly to the current dir open on 'Konsole'. For me at
least this is a very useful feature because I often have source and
destination open in cli and gui, irrespectively. Doing so pops up a menu from
which you can select ln, cp, mv, or even a cd into the current working dir.
It does this by pasting the command into the console. for example 'kfmclient
move source dest'

Anyway, I though this was pretty neat and wanted to share.

P.S No cli/gui holy wars :)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk