[Gllug] Re-establishing access to Root

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Thu Nov 4 15:15:01 UTC 2004

Ian Norton writes:

>using X as root might not be as dangerous as it once was

Actually, I'd argue it's more dangerous now than it has ever been.
There is far more useless crap running on the average desktop now
than there ever was in the "good old days", and thus there's far
more scope for security vulnerabilities.

>if you truly want to run X as the root user, then i expect it will only
>be in special circumstances when you want to fix stuff or install new
>things.

I can't see why you'd want to run X as root even then. It's simply a
bad idea on all fronts. Don't do it, and don't expect any sympathy from
me when it goes wrong. If you have a GUI application that needs to be
run as root, then ssh to localhost as root and use X forwarding. That
way, you don't have all of your applications running as root, only
those that absolutely need the elevated privilege.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk