[Gllug] Recommendation for Linux Server Monitoring

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Mon Nov 29 20:40:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:13:57 -0000, David Abbishaw <David at Abbishaw.com>
wrote:

> Its been a while since I last looked into this and my google skills
> seemed
> to be lacking today.  I'm looking for a linux based solution that's free
> monitor 150 Linux servers and about 20 windows servers.
>
> The things were most interested in are :
>
> Oracle/Apache/Websphere/SSH/SMTP/Ldap/HTTPS/MsSQL etc which should be
> simple
> enough as they all open TCP ports.
>
> Alerts by email after three (or rather x) consecutives failures to help
> against false alerts.
>
> Dependences so that if a router is down the host doesn't alarm as also
> being
> down.
>
> A real bonus would be the ability to check Window services/processed and
> Windows and Linux resources like memory & CPU.
>
> A real real bonus would also be able to run a custom script for
> monitoring
> at the remote server.
>
> The monitoring server needs to be able to run on Suse Enterprise server
> 8.2
> which I doubt will be a problem.
>
> I am aware of Nagios and BB, Nagios I've never had much luck with and BB
> isn't free to companies to use (unless Ive missed some recent changes.)

Looks like an ideal nagios application to me, not sure about Oracle but I
use it to check all the above except oracle,mysql and Ldap.  I also check
disk usage or a range of boxes.

What about MRTG?  Though I think that needs snmp agents for all the
services.

Shout if you want help with the nagios config files....

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk