[Gllug] Ho Hum - of course no linux for world community grid...

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Sat Nov 20 23:51:53 UTC 2004

"M.Blackmore" <mblackmore at oxlug.org> writes:

> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
>
> What pressure can be brought to bear to release a linux compatible tick-sharer?

Well, it's an IBM product, so they probably will at some point. But,
even if they do, I suggest you read the license. A few paragraphs of note.

>IN ADDITION, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR PROMISE THAT THE SOFTWARE,
>SERVICES OR MATERIALS WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER OR YOUR
>DATA OR CAUSE COMPUTER INTERRUPTIONS.

and

> THIS AGREEMENT MAY NOT BE MODIFIED BY YOU. WE WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO
> MODIFY THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME, AND YOUR SUBSEQUENT PARTICIPATION
> WILL BE GOVERNED BY THE MODIFIED AGREEMENT. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU OF A
> MODIFIED AGREEMENT BY POSTING THE MODIFIED AGREEMENT ON THE WCG WEB
> SITE OR BY E-MAIL, REGULAR MAIL, FAX, OR PHONE.

And, of course,
>THIS AGREEMENT WILL BE GOVERNED BY THE SUBSTANTIVE LAWS OF THE STATE OF
>NEW YORK, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. THE UNITED NATIONS COVNENTION ON
>CONTRACTS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SALE OF GOODS WILL NOT APPLY. EACH
>PARTY WAIVES ITS RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL AND AGREES THAT ANY CLAIM UNDER
>THIS AGREEMENT OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE WCG MUST BE BROUGHT IN A
>FEDERAL DISTRICT COURT IN NEW YORK STATE.

So, if you run this program,
    (a) we can break your computer
    (b) we can change the license without telling you
    (c) American law applies to your computer.

Hmm.

cheer,s Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml