[Gllug] Gentoo & Booting from SATA disk

Nick Warrington nick.warrington at automationpartnership.com
Thu Nov 18 10:48:19 UTC 2004

Hi All

I just bought some bits to build a new PC including a Gigabyte motherboard
GA-K8VNXP and a single SATA disk.

I booted the Gentoo cd to start installation and everything come up fine
apart from having to do 'modprobe ide_disk' to get my SATA disk to appear as
/dev/hde before getting started on the installation.

After running through the installation manual pretty much as written and
rebooting, Grub starts to boot the kernel and the kernel fails a short time
later because it can't find my root disk. I can get a shell up at this point
and I assume the file system I see is the initrd filesystem. There is no
ide_disk module in there but there is the libata module.

I tried to add ide_disk to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel.2.6.9 and doing a
modules-update. I didn't notice anything appended to /etc/modules.conf and
it still didn't boot.

Is this the right module at all. I keep reading about libata. I initially
thought that this might be the module to use but although I can insert the
module it doesn't give me /dev/hde.

Perhaps I should try and compile in the ide_disk module. I did look. The
only options that seemed plausable was the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK option.
Compiling it in didn't seem to make a difference.

Not sure where to go from here?
Also can anyone shed any light on the different SATA modules and what
they're all for?

All help, suggestions, and dry humour are welcome.

Thanks

Nick

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk