[Gllug] Good linux magazines?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Nov 9 12:12:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:05:24PM +0000, Dave wrote:

> Most months I read Linux Format. It's largely aimed at the mass
> (i.e. beginner) market but it has some interesting articles.

I find the "Format" format off-putting, personally.  If Radio 1 decided
to do a Linux magazine with its DJs as writers, they'd create something
similar to Linux Format.

> Occasionally I'll also pick up a copy of Linux Magazine, but I find
> a lot it its articles difficult to read (probably because of the
> translation from German).

The tone and content of Linux Magazine is much more to my taste
(conflict-of-interest disclaimer: I occasionally write for it).  As for
the articles translated from German, they only do this if they don't
have enough UK-generated content.  There are plenty of people on this
list alone who could be contributing (and earning).

> The most serious Linux magazine is Linux Journal. I used to pick it
> up occasionally from the PC Bookshop, but that's closed and I don't
> know of any other place to buy it and I don't really want to subscribe.

I gave in and subscribed.  LJ has fluctuations in quality and some
issues are very esoteric (full of articles on how embedded Linux is
being used in Bolivian rainfall-measuring stations) but it's been on
good form recently.  If only somebody would shoot that bloody "Cooking
with Linux" idiot and put an end to his Marcel Wave impressions.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.