[Gllug] NTFS resize

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 16:16:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 08:35:52AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> I'm trying to resize an NTFS partition on a 40gig laptop hard  drive

I did this a few months back on my Dell Precision M60 laptop
(boast,boast,boast!) :)

> I'm trying to use ntfsresize after booting via a Knoppix CD.
> Win XP insists on leaving a file at the end of the partition, even after
> I run defragment.
> Wonder if this is the swap file? Any Windows experts here?

I disabled swap and degfragmented the drive. I then booted knoppix and
used the ntfs resize command, then had to reboot to windows and defrag
again, then back to knoppix and ntfs resize back to windows defrag etc.
a few times due to windows putting files at the end of the disk. Another
option would be to get a demo of a 3rd party Windows disk defrag
software, I used a demo version of this
http://www.raxcosoftware.com/product.asp?ProductID=80
when I put Debian on my girlfriends PC a year or two back.

> Also the Dell has a small FAT partition right at the start of the disk.
> I usually like to have a Linux /boot partition as the first partition.
> Looks like this Dell FAT partition contains important tools and machine
> settings.
> I guess its not possible to move it a few blocks later in the disk -
> probably would then
> be lost.

Just put the /boot partition after the windows partition and leave the
dell utilities well alone, you don't need a /boot at the beginning of
the disk and the dell utilities could come in useful if you need to get
the laptop serviced! (although, if you do remove the dell utilities I
think that there is an installer for them on the recovery discs that you
should have got with the machine)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem