[Gllug] re: software vs hardware RAID

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Nov 3 17:14:03 UTC 2004

"t.clarke" <tim at seacon.co.uk> writes:
[snip]

> On the other hand, I presume software raid requires the o-s to do all the hard
> work, including scheduling and performing two writes for the price-of-one
> when mirroring is done, striping etc etc when other levels of raid are done;
> all of which would seem to impose extra load on the system.

Yes it does. So the OS can do disk scheduling on the writes, and spread
the reads.

> So, seems to me, as previously stated by Martin, that if you really NEED raid,
> go for the hardware variety !  Personally, I reckon except for systems that
> absolutely HAVE to be up all the time, modern discs are sufficiently reliable
> to make raid a luxury which can be done without.  Of course, I could be tempting
> providence ....... :-)

I've had enough disks fail over the years to not trust the little
f'ers. Backup strategies - if they are going to be kept current - impose
too much overhead. Multiple disks from different batches I trust much
more - at least I know the things that can fail when they're in the case.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk