[Gllug] "Wrong software" installed on to desktop PC's causes crash

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 20:58:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Tethys mused:

> Nix writes:
>
>>> Only desktop systems were fubar'd.
>>
>>All 80,000 of them (!!!) apparently.
>
> Indeed. But surely even were that the case, you'd just restore the previous
> image to those machines and an hour later, everything would be back to
> normal. Obviously that didn't happen, as an hour later, things are still
> screwed. I'm not entirely sure why, though.

The wording in the Reg story implied that the upgrade was unintentional
(how do you unintentionally upgrade tens of thousands of machines? if
it's all remotely triggered, what stops a cracker from doing the same
thing?), so if they're sufficiently incompetent they may not *have*
previous images.

(Such would be idiotic, but this *is* ED `work before forethought' S.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk