[Gllug] IP address detection

Benedikt Heinen beh at icemark.net
Tue Nov 16 00:22:16 UTC 2004

>> arpwatch doesn't appear to do the job, at least it doesn't detect the card and
>> ethereal doesn't seem much cop either, though there is a switch and a hub
>> between my ethereal client and the Sun box.
> So did you try the serial console and pinging broadcasts as John
> suggested?

Hmmm... Is it possible that the interface didn't even come up?  I would be
pretty surprised if the machine didn't try anything at all if the
interface would be up (usually, I would expect at least some services on
the machines trying to contact nameservers, if only to resolve its own
name from its IP address).

I guess, the serial console wold be the best bet here.

> E.g.
> 10.0.0.255
> 10.0.255.255
> 10.255.255.255
> 192.168.0.255
> 192.168.1.255

Pinging subnets only makes sense if you have a good idea of which subnet
the machine might have been on originally; but since Sun servers have
often been used as web servers, it's well possible the machine was
configured to an official address before -- but, speaking of that - have
you tried getting some information from the seller, as to what network the
machine was configured to (even if he isn't aware of the actual IP
address; but if the machine was removed from a pool of machines to be
retired, that information might still be known to him).

Though, I would still try the serial console idea first... ;-)

   Benedikt

 	ABRUPT, adj.  Sudden, without ceremony, like the arrival of a
 	cannon-shot and the departure of the soldier whose interests
 	are most affected by it.
 			(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk