[Gllug] Electrical interferense?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 15:05:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Henrik Morsing stipulated:
> 1. My main (8 year old PII) computer has slowed down about 50 times. It
> now takes 1:40 to boot up. I tried reinstalling it but even the
> installation process is extremely slow. There's nothing in the logs, no
> errors, no cpu usage and no I/O wait. It seems as if the CPUs themselves
> have just slowed down!

Some BIOSes let you turn off the CPU cache, which would have almost
exactly this effect (it's amazing how slow main memory is when you have
to use it for *everything*).

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk