[Gllug] AMD64

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 24 22:16:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Doug Winter moaned:
> George Wright wrote:
>> Do you have sound working at all using OSS or something similar? What about onboard ethernet? The sound isn't too much of an issue
>> as I have a PCI SoundBlaster Live which I use instead of onboard but I sometimes use the onboard as the line input on my SB is
>> very quiet...
>
> To simplify a bit, the kernel is the same kernel as for 32-bit, except
> compiled in 64-bit, so it all just works basically.  Problems

Er, the architecture-dependent stuff is different. Not *very* different,
but different.

> arise where code isn't "64-bit clean" - i.e. it is assumed that words
> are 32-bits wide and that kind of thing.  The kernel has been 64-bit
> clean for ages, since it runs on other 64-bit architectures, like
> sparc64, and has done for some time.

Quite so (although not every syscall has 32-bit wrappers on sparc64, and
probably the same is true of x86-64; however, the vast majority have,
because on sparc, unlike on x86-64, userspace is normally 32-bit.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk