[Gllug] Electrical interferense?

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Mon Nov 22 11:42:05 UTC 2004

Hello guys,
I've just moved house and have some unexplainable problems.

1. My main (8 year old PII) computer has slowed down about 50 times. It
now takes 1:40 to boot up. I tried reinstalling it but even the
installation process is extremely slow. There's nothing in the logs, no
errors, no cpu usage and no I/O wait. It seems as if the CPUs themselves
have just slowed down!

2. My network sometimes becomes extremely slow (and even terminates ssh
sessions). There are no network errors at all.

3. I can no longer use VPN to work. It sometimes logs me in but then kicks
me off again.

4. I borrowed a 3G (Orange) card but it was too slow.

The thing is about 100m from my house there as some main power lines going
by. You can't see or hear them from my house but about a minutes walk away
you can hear them buzzing.

Could this really be the problem? Why don't I see any errors?
It's a bit frustrating and also a problem because I am on call at work and
must be able to log in from home.

Henrik Morsing
henrik at morsing.cc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk