[Gllug] Resolving question

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Nov 30 16:11:33 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Jack Bertram announce to the hordes:
> Do _all_ (normal) programs use the resolving order defined in
> resolv.conf?  I anticipate some DNS difficulties over the next few days
> and want to know whether I can add /etc/hosts entries to overcome these
> for one particular server.
>
> postfix is the most critical service on this server - would I have to
> configure this separately?

If you know you might be having nameserver troubles, one thing you could do
is reconfigure the critical systems like postfix, that use only one address
to connect outwards (sendmail equivalent of smarthost) would be to set it to
the direct IP address.

But yes, I think all programs that do use the name service should use it in
the order specified in /etc/hosts
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk