[Gllug] IP address detection

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Nov 15 22:04:34 UTC 2004

Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> writes:

> arpwatch doesn't appear to do the job, at least it doesn't detect the card and
> ethereal doesn't seem much cop either, though there is a switch and a hub
> between my ethereal client and the Sun box.

Maybe the switch is being clever for you?

Certainly, I've had arpwatch running on a server pick up a machine on
the wireless bridge on the other side of a (dumb) switch.

You could try running a crossover between the two machines, and seeing
if arpwatch or anything else did it.

The other thing would be to check if a DHCP server got queried (by
running one...)

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml