[Gllug] VGA to scart/s-video

john.hearns at clustervision.com john.hearns at clustervision.com
Sat Nov 6 08:58:16 UTC 2004

Quoting Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk>:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know if a convertor is available to take a standard monitor
> output and output some form of TV/video compatible signal - preferably
> composite video or s-video?
>
> A TV-out on a video card is not an option as it has to work with a
> laptop.

Yes, you need what is called a scan convertor.
Buy a higher quality one of you can afford it.

I used one on the video-conferencing system I set up between
Guys and St. Thomas' hospitals - what these days would be referred
to as an access grid.
The video codecs at each end took in a composite or an S-video feed.
I had a Kramer video matrix switcher, which switched between
a camera on top of the large TV monitor, a room based camera,
a document camera (for X-rays)  and finally a scan convertor which
was used to hook up a PC for Powerpoint presentations.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk