[Gllug] So I've got the Linux discs....

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 09:40:19 UTC 2004

On Thu 28 Oct, HLondon0101 at aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to switch to Linux, I've bought a couple of CD's from the Linux
> shop. You probably know what's coming next... Installation.
>
> I'd like to be shown rather than be told and am happy to pay expenses for the
> priviledge or [prefer] a skills exchange [ 30 years experience in property
> renovation / adviser / plasterer]. I live in Stratford E15, anyone local ish?
> I'd also like to learn more about P.C.'s in general from someone patient!
>
> Please reply direct to     hlondon0101 at aol.com  Thanks.

   There are a number of people including "lurkers" who read newsgroups such
as this and hope to benefit from reading replies to questions sent by
others, so answers are usually sent on list where possible.

   The system known as Linux uses a central core known as the kernel, and a
large number of programme libraries originally developed by the Free
Software Foundation, the BSD groups, and others. The various versions of
kernel are the basis for the name "Linux". It is normally supplied as part
of an organised distribution together with a selection of other software.
   The distributions are organised more or less independantly, so are not
identical, and have slightly different main objectives. Some aim to be at
the bleeding edge, some are very easy to get started with a "vanilla"
system, some have more emphasis on maximum reliability and ease of
maintenance and upgrading. Some supply a huge choice of software within the
distribution, add or change what you install when you wish.
   The software is developed by independant groups who supply their own
documentation, and more may be added with the distribution. There are often
many options provided for use in particular circumstances which are not set
up in a "vanilla" distribution, while other modifications may be made for
particular distributions, and users are recommended to
 R(read) T(the) F(fine? friendly?) M(manual).
   New users often wish to retain their familiar system until they are
happy, with a choice of which they run at a re-boot. Linux can normally
access existing files on another operating system.

   A few fairly obvious questions,
 are you aiming to do anything particular?
 do you want to use a particular Linux distribution?
 do you want to be able to dual-boot, with a choice of one from multiple
operating systems?
 and what kind of computer hardware, amount of RAM memory, hard disc space,
network and/or internet connections, etc?

   GLLUG normally arrange meetings in central London, we currently use the
facilities at the University of Westminster Cavendish building including a
large lecture theatre and computer laboratories, and we can take our own
equipment or arrange demonstrations (just declare any equipment you bring at
the reception desk so that you are allowed to take it back out). The next
meeting is expected to be on 20th November. We are not all experts at
everything, but we are able to pool our knowledge and resources to get
things done.

--
Chris Bell (West London).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk