[Gllug] libnssldap woes

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Fri Nov 12 12:03:56 UTC 2004

On 12 Nov 2004, at 08:27, Morris, Simon wrote:

> Hello!
>
>  I have a server which was setup to lookup against LDAP for user IDs
> etc using libnssldap from Debian testing.
>
>  Its a mail server so no local users get shell access. I've realised
> after setting up some scripts to run as non-root access that only root
> is able to resolve names from LDAP

Replying to own post.

So I had the permissions on /etc/libnss-ldap.conf set to 400 which is
why non-root users couldn't resolve LDAP usernames.

Works a lot nicer when they can read the file :)

I guess the next stage is to obscure the LDAP bind password within the
file so non-root users can't read it easily.

Thanks

~SM