[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Oct 7 11:08:38 UTC 2004

On Thursday, 7 Oct 2004, Garry Heaton wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>On Thursday, 7 Oct 2004, Garry Heaton wrote:
>>Actually, w3m handles tables fine. However, it remains the case that
>>tables are a great tool for doing actual tables, but a stupid kludge
>>for layout.
>Then why does Eric Meyer recommend their use in hybrid layouts in "Eric
>Meyer on CSS"?

My telepathy's right out today, so I can't tell you.

>From reading Meyer, though, I get the impression that while he is very
knowledgable, he still entertains the idea that fancy design is more
important than usability; hence he's willing to compromise usability
[1] for its sake, and mess up logical markup for the sake of supposed
appearance gains.

[1] And this does compromise usability; a blind user's speech reader
can easily tell them about tables _provided_ that table-HTML really
does represent tables; it's just another case of using logical markup
to do physical markup.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk